Monday, December 22, 2008

On the Ridge of the Two Spirits of the Air


I was asked along with eleven other Irish illustrators to contribute an image to the AIB Calendar for 2009.
The theme was about special unknown places around Ireland.
We all had great freedom with the brief.
Here is my painting and the blurb I put with it.

'Dromahair is a magical place for me. It is in an area steeped in history and folklore.
WB Yeats visited the town often, and speaks of Dromahair in his poem,"The Man who dreamed of Faeryland":
My picture, set in the ruins of Creveelea Abbey on the hill above the town, is inspired by the etymology of the name: 'Droim a dhá Eathair' meaning "the Ridge of the two air-spirits".'

Thanks to BrenB for including me in this lovely project.
You can get a free copy of the calendar from AIB branches if you are a customer of theirs.

4 comments:

Manelle said...

I love the fun stuff you let the watercolors do! Nice piece.

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks Manelle
I enjoyed being a bit more free with the medium than usual.
PJ

Cj said...

This picture is as good a place as any to say I've loved your work since I was about eight. Im 20 now and about to apply for the school of my dreams--Art Center College of Design in Pasadena--to major in illustration. I just wanted to say thank you for all the inspiration, your work is part of what's brought me this far!

PJ Lynch said...

Wow CJ
I'm overwhelmed by your comment.
I wish you the very best of luck getting into the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, and with your artistic career.
I hope you have as much fun with illustration as I have.
Best regards
PJ