Monday, October 27, 2008

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow


I've just finished reading "Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow "
by Jessica Day George.
It's a wonderful novelisation of the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" which I illustrated back in the early 1990s.
Jessica was good enough to acknowledge my book in her bibliography at the back of her book, and has written on her website of how my illustrations had inspired her imagination when she was younger.
For me it was the most unusual experience to be reading this terrific book and often coming across scenes or descriptions that had clearly been influenced by the work I did all those years ago.
I was very proud that my work had energised this young person's creativity, and although not many readers will go on to actually create a novel as Jessica has, it's exciting to think that my books might sometimes affect people as deeply as that.

8 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

I hadn't heard of her novel yet, but will definitely pick it up, I'm curious. It's such a wonderful love story, along with all the magic and fantasy.

Anonymous said...

Just curious, what colors of watercolor paint do you use most often? You seem to have a fairly warm color scheme in most of your illustrations.

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it! Yes, I about wore out my copy of your book while writing "Sun and Moon".

miss kitti said...

Your illustrations are gorgeous. Thank you for posting a sampling. I will have to buy some of your books now. I can't wait to read them with my daughter.

PJ said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
Re watercolour, Brand wise I use Winsor and Newton, and I suppose most paintings would include some work with Raw Umber which tends to warm them up.
All the best
PJ

Anonymous said...

East O'the Sun, West O'the Moon was my favourite book when I was little, I used to look for it every time I went to the library! I now have a copy of it on my book shelf and still turn to it when I need inspiration. Your illustrations are absolutely beautiful - perfectly magical, dark and rich.

PJ Lynch said...

Many thanks rings on her fingers,
Nice imagery on your blog
All the best
PJ

Gloria said...

Hello. I just bought a copy of "East", and reading each page again just filled me with nostalgia and joy. I've loved your book for years, probably about 10-15 years now, actually! I'm thrilled to see so much of your other work now.

- Gloria