Friday, February 24, 2012

Jessie: Supporting Rôle in "You've Got Mail"


I have somehow avoided watching "You've Got Mail" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, but it was on the TV last night and my attention was engaged when I saw it was all about New York bookshops, and I seemed to remember my friend Marie-Louise saying that she noticed a book of mine in meg Ryan's shop.

I still didn't watch it, but I got a shaky snap of the screen showing Tom Hanks with the cover of When Jessie Came Across The Sea in the background.

3 comments:

Teresa Rodriguez said...

Oh, how I LOVE that book! Beautiful images that made me feel like I was looking at a personal scrapbook and these people were real. I was able to see the original of the cover at Society of Illustrators many years ago. Gorgeous!

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks so much for hat Teresa.
I'm delighted you like the book.

The cover art lived in the offices of Candlewick Press in Cambridge Massachusetts for a long time after that show you saw it in.
Now it has been bought by a collector in Philadelphia.

Best regards
PJ

Amy June Bates said...

As for the movie, you are not missing much, since it is about a very cute quaint bookstore that is bought out by a Megabookstore. By the end, in some sort of odd capitalist infused way we are supposed to embrace this lovely idea.

As for the book, of course it is lovely and probably the highlight of the movie.

Amy Bates