Wednesday, December 22, 2010

From "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens

Much as I adore the way Walker Books designed my version of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol", I hope one day they will do a larger format version of it.
The pictures are pretty small in the book and you do have to look very closely to see all the detail.
This scene is from Stave Two.
I hope it will work with the slightly feeble snow effect I have added to the blog.
I took a liberty including the street light as they hadn't been invented in 1842 when the book is set. In those days they had flaming torches at street corners which I felt would have looked inappropriately medieval.

"When Scrooge awoke, it was so dark, that looking out of bed, he could scarcely distinguish the transparent window from the opaque walls of his chamber. He was endeavouring to pierce the darkness with his ferret eyes, when the chimes of a neighbouring church struck the four quarters. So he listened for the hour.
To his great astonishment the heavy bell went on from six to seven, and from seven to eight, and regularly up to twelve; then stopped. Twelve! It was past two when he went to bed. The clock was wrong. An icicle must have got into the works. Twelve!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it !

I Have loved reading your blog throughout the year and look forward to many more in the months to come.

I wish a very happy and healthy Christmas to you and your family.

Love,
Sally Bouchard

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks a million Sally
And let me wish a wonderful Christmas to you and your family too.
Best regards
PJ

Anonymous said...

That piece is wonderful, and the snow works very nicely.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Jean K.

Sadami said...

Dear PJ,
I love this work. A single color, but a handled valu, good angle plus impressive perspective and snow eloquently tell me a story. Wonderful.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year~!
Best wishes, Sadami

PJ Lynch said...

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Sadami.
Many thanks for all your great comments too
PJ

PJ Lynch said...

Many thanks Jean K.
Wishing a Merry Christmas to you and yours too.
PJ

Monika Baum said...

Wow, this painting just spoke to me. I could hear it!
No, really - what a powerful image, so much depth and atmosphere!
Best regards,
Mon

PJ Lynch said...

Many thanks Mon. Delighted you like it.
PJ