Friday, February 12, 2010

Christian Birmingham's version of The Snow Queen


Here's a footnote to the posts on "borrowing" from artists you like.
I should write a post about blatant plagiarism as my work has occasionally been horribly ripped off. That shows a complete lack of respect for the artist whose work is being plundered.
The respectful homage however, which is what I do every so often myself, is a different matter. I've even found an example of where someone has given me a friendly nod in this way.
Christian Birmingham is a very talented illustrator whose work you might know. I am a big fan of his work. His draughtsmanship and control of his chosen medium of oil pastels are exceptional. His version of A Christmas Carol was a great source of inspiration to me when I was illustrating my version of that book.
Above is a picture from Christian's version of The Snow Queen, which came out a few years ago. I've never even met Christian, but I take his referencing my design for the architecture of the Snow Queen's palace as that "friendly nod" I mentioned. There is no question that he could have invented a setting that was all his own, but I believe it's a case of one guy beavering away in his studio and, in a fairly oblique way, sending out the message " Hey man, I like your stuff".
I like to think so anyway.
My Snow Queen is below.

5 comments:

Kendra Melton said...

Yea, that pieces is Gorgeous. I'm gonna have to check him out

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, I'm a great fan of Christian Birmingham too. It seems to stand to reason that you should be mutual admirers of each other's work. :) I have met him once or twice when we still shared an agent before he moved on elsewhere - I had only just freshly started out then. I was much too awed and intimidated (on top of being already socially inept to begin with) to have really spoken to him at any length.

I'm quite sure he uses chalk rather than oil pastels, though perhaps he may have switched/switch between the two and I hadn't been aware.

Niroot

yaamas said...

The first time I saw Christian's work was when I purchased a calendar of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and I really loved his use of color and design. I kind of lost track of his work for a while, but thanks you PJ, for posting this. His work has truly jumped leaps and bounds...I love it. I'm really impressed with his "Sleeping Beauty" and "Snow Queen" illustrations.

Hey, it's all about inspiration, right? Artists inspire one another and some amazing things are created to keep that inspiration wheel turning. I know I'm inspired every time I visit your blog my friend. Niroot, I love your work too.

James

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for barging in with an off-topic comment, but I just wanted to say how much I love your work and am so glad to find your blog!

Your edition of A Christmas Carol is a treasured part of my collection. It is the most beautiful version of that novel I have ever found. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the story and, anymore, the story wouldn't be the storyw ithout your artwork. Thanks so much for making my holidays richer. :)

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks All for those great comments.
I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.
Best wishes
PJ